Natural Areas Ecologist
Duties and Responsibilities
General Summary: ILM is seeking full time and seasonal staff who are passionate about the environment and preserving natural areas in Northeast Illinois and Southeast Wisconsin. A Natural Areas Ecologist 1 implements terrestrial based habitat restoration services. These services include controlling invasive plant species (via herbicide application or mechanical removal), controlled burning, native seeding, and native plant installation. This position is an entry level field-based position for individuals that have a background in Restoration Ecology or related field. The diverse responsibilities and unique experiences this position provides allow for abundant learning opportunities.
Experience: This is an entry level position; however, experience in Soil and Water Conservation, Ecological Restoration, Conservation, or Environmental/Biological Science is preferred.
Type: Full Time-Year Round
Hours: 40-60 hours per week.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Control invasive plant species (via herbicide application or mechanical removal).
- Participate as a burn crew member during controlled burns.
- Restore or install native areas via native seeding and/or native plant installation.
- Assist in writing service reports to summarize daily activities.
- Perform all tasks safely and adhere to company safety policies.
- Conduct basic maintenance on small engine equipment and hand tools.
- Take direction from team members as well as crew leaders.
- Safely drive company vehicles to and from job sites, with or without a trailer.
- Safely operate specialized equipment (UTVs, Marsh Masters, Skid Steers, Brush Mowers).
- Accurately record timesheets and submit them to Manager for approval.
- Follow company policies as stated in the Employee Handbook.
- Obtain required certifications/licenses. ILM will provide study materials and testing fees.
- 21 years of age or older and must have a valid state drivers license, with clean driving record.
- Possess a high school diploma and be actively pursuing a college degree in Ecology or related field. Bachelor’s or Associates degree preferred.
- Must obtain an Illinois Department of Agriculture Commercial Pesticide Operators License within 30 days of start date. Study materials and testing fees will be provided by ILM.
- Has the physical ability to execute invasive plant control (mechanical and chemical), native seeding, planting, and controlled burning. This includes standing, kneeling, bending, and walking for long periods of time on uneven terrain during all seasons and weather conditions.
- Has the ability to lift/carry up to 50 lbs.
- Has basic smartphone and computer skills.
- Has a basic understanding of Midwest ecological restoration practices and plant communities.
Salary and Benefits: $16-18/hr., 401k, insurance (health, dental, vision), paid time off
Please send your resume to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!